I’m just gonna keep eating until Trader Joe’s calls me with that endorsement deal… I mean, every single ingredient was purchased at my fave store, so these of course are called my Vegan Sloppy Trader Joes.
Please note, they do not taste like real sloppy joes. Obviously, because the main ingredient in a sloppy joe is ground meat. These taste like Lentil Joes and there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with THAT. I’m sure if I would’ve used the beef-less beef from TJ’s it would’ve totally tasted like the real thing, but lentils are SO good for you and I’m really trying to put as many whole foods into my diet as possible. That said, I did add some of that ridiculously amazing soy chorizo from TJ’s because, well, Soy CHORIZO. Okay?
So again you can really do whatever you want with this recipe. I just hope it inspires you to try something different, something vegan, something homemade. You can also try it exactly as is and I guarantee you will be sloppyfied!!
1.5 cups lentils
3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 bag sliced cremini mushrooms chopped and diced
1 medium white onion
1/2 soy chorizo
5 – 6 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons marinara sauce
A handful of cherry tomatoes chopped
Salt & Pepper
Honey Wheat Hamburger Buns
Organic Micro Greens
- Get your lentils cooking FIRST. These little suckers took foreverrrr! Lentils + Broth + salt&pepper in a pot on high, bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and leave those babies alone for about 35-45 minutes. The mooshier the better for this dish.
- Meanwhile, in another pan get your onions grilling, low and slow. Once they’re see through add your diced mushrooms and let those go. They will reduce significantly. Add chopped tomatoes here. Once they’re cooked, pour them in a bowl and set aside.
- Add your soy chorizo and you know the drill… Cook em til they’re crumbly and delish. No oil needed. Oh and use the same pan you used for the mushrooms/onions.
- Once they’re crumbly, add back to the pan your mushroom+onion mixture. Mix well and them all get to know each other. Add seasonings.
- After your lentils have cooked through, felt like a year had passed, add your mushroom+onion+soyrizo+tomatoes to the pot and mix well.
- Add your ketchup, marinara, and more seasonings, too. Mix well.
- Let this all simmer for a bit. Get your buns lightly toasted, slice your avocado, grab your micro greens out of the fridge, check your Instagram, set the table, just keep yourself busy – I know you’re hungry.
- Ok, make your sandwich like pictured.
- Grab 25 paper towels and a fork and get sloppy!!
I live for Green Juice and French Fries and knowing that a well-balanced life means having both and having them often.
I am a self-taught cook, caught in a not-so-secret love affair with vegetables. Inspired by vegan & vegetarian chefs, www.GreenJuiceandFrenchFries.com was born. A place where you can find recipes for delicious treats and healthy eats, all in one place… because who says you can’t have it all?